Monday, March 16, 2009

Dots, not feathers

Not everyone may understand why I would love to go to India. I mean, it's the 2nd most populated country in the world, and it's poverty-stricken; it wouldn't exactly be a tropical, relaxing vacation, but that's the exact reason why I want to go. I've been drawn to India for the longest time and every time I mention my desire to go there to someone I'm always told "Ew, why? It's dirty there." Fuck that noise! I don't think every vacation should be spent in luxury...this is life, this is real, this is what people are living and experiencing every day. And I want to experience it, too, because we forget how lucky we are to be living where we do: to have clean water and a soft bed to sleep in and a nice car to drive to a job where we actually make more than $2 a day, and I don't want to take it for granted. I want to see these people and feel what they feel to live the way they do. I want to walk the dirty streets, witness the children playing in groups outside (not like kids here that stay inside playing video games all day) and stand in awe next to the Taj Mahal. I want to wake up at sunrise and pray with them to a God I don't believe in but it doesn't matter. I want to eat curry with everything and drink Hadia. I want to feel so small and insignificant in a sea of people. And if you don't get it, that's ok, it's not a destination for everyone, but I know it is for me.













1 comment: